Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wauchope, Mid north coast, NSW


Both Wauchope and Port Macquarie lie on the Hastings River, Wauchope being 20kms inland and Port right on the coast. Wauchope is a typical country town of about 7,500 people whereas Port is a thriving retirement mecca of close to 45,000 people.


My older brother, Baz, lives on a communal property about 40kms outside of Wauchope near the hamlet of Rollands Plains. He moved onto the land in about 1983 and the following year he and Dad together constructed a house. Baz has since constructed a shed and an extensive vegetable garden. Until recently, Baz was a vegetarian and hence could supply his own requirements.


By trade Baz was a communications engineer, but that was back in the 70s and the world is a totally different place now. For the last 30 years he has scraped a living doing leather-work and selling at markets around the state. Earlier in July he turned 65 and qualified for the Old Age Pension. This is the most money he has earnt in is life.

Oh, and did I tell you he is schizophrenic?

Normally, he comes to Sydney twice a year, stays with me and visits Dad. This time I visited him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know your brother well from the early stories. I'm impressed he was able to grow enough to feed himself.

Julie said...

Good memory from another blog! Thank you for that.

He was always a whizz with soil. As a child he beat the rest of us hands-down in 'whose beans can grow furthest up the netting' competitions.

Tes said...

Hello Julie! Very interesting story about your brother. I admire his conviction to be vegetarian -good choice! You take amazing photos, so clear and vivid. Love the depth and composition! :) Thank you for following my blog, I'd love to be your follower too. :)

Linn said...

Hi:)
Gorgeous photos:)

Have a very nice day - SP

Joan Elizabeth said...

I don't know that part of the country at all well ... I just don't seem to be able to get in sync with the North Coast for some reason.

Now there is a Royal there I just might have to get over my hang up and go visit :-) I've managed to collect a couple more on this trip.

Julie said...

You realise, of course, that photo was taken just for you!!

Stay tuned as there are more posts coming on the area.

Eventually ...

Unknown said...

Fantastic photography. I am enjoying your pic very much.

Pat Tillett said...

A great post!
The photos and story made it very interesting. Thanks!